Elections for the next Board of Directors are coming up! Beginning today is the nomination period for prospective Directors. We are looking to fill three of our Board positions during this election (see the list of incumbents below).
We are an official 501(c)(3) and so our next goal mostly concerns really hitting the ground running with our fund-raising effort. If you think you can help us achieve this very important objective, please consider running for the Board of Directors! A Director’s term is one year long.
The powers of the Board of Directors are explicitly laid out in the AHA Bylaws (see “Powers of the Board” here), and since Directors take responsibility for financial activities so they must:
- have no financial conflicts of interest
- make an unrestricted financial contribution each term
- engage with and support the standing committee activities of Fundraising (development), Financial (operations), and Governance.
Here’s the breakdown of important dates for elections:
- Today – October 16 at 11:59PM: People can start nominating themselves or others over the ahashop_members at googlegroups.com mailing list.
- October 16 at 11:59PM – NOMINATIONS: If you nominate yourself or wish to accept someone else’s nomination, send an email explicitly and clearly stating that you are running to board at allhandsactive.com before midnight! Any confirmed nominees might also want to send a note to the ahashop_members at googlegroups.com list so that people know they are running. The current Board will also send out periodical updates of confirmed nominees as we collect them.
- October 17 – October 23 at 7:00PM – ABSENTEE VOTING: If you know that you are unable to make it to the voting party at AHA on the evening of the 23rd, let us know ASAP and we will do our best to accommodate your vote with an alternate voting procedure.
- October 23 at 7:00PM until 10:00PM – ELECTIONS: We host a themed Build Night in which the goal is to build a Board! Converge on AHA at 7:00PM, eat potluck-style foods, and cast your ballot. We will tally votes promptly at 10:00PM.
- October 24 at Midnight: Elected Board Members are put into place!
The actual voting process will involve assigning each nominee a number from 1 to N (N being the number of nominees we have by the end of the 16th). Higher numbers represent the nominees you favor most, with 1 being your least-favored. We will add up all of your ranking values and pick the three highest-scoring nominees, who will become the newest Members of the Board.
If you are a fully-paid Standard Member ($50), Reduced Membership Member ($20), or 4 ‘n’ 4 Staff Member ($0) in October, you are entitled to vote. You may become a member at any time up until the 23rd if you would like to be counted for this election.
And here’s the current Board:
Dana Nelson (I)
Larry Works (I)
Nathan Yost (I) — consecutive term limit reached
Incumbent Board Members who have completed their term are denoted by (I).
Please leave a comment here or on the Board Elections mailing list thread with election-related questions, or nominations. If you have matters of a sensitive nature, you may also email the board directly at board at allhandsactive.com.
Thank you, and see you for elections on October 23rd at 7:00PM!
It’s that time of year where we invite as many people as we can fit into AHA for a pleasant evening of hackery fellowship! This year we are particularly pleased to announce our new 501(c)(3) tax-exempt status.
Stop in and see what we’ve been doing to grow and improve the resources we offer our community! We will be showing off the new laser cutter, and we’ll have a members’ projects on display.
RSVP at this Meetup link over here!
We hope to see you there!
Members know we have a new toy just coming up to speed. It’s rather big and it’s rather red so meet “Big Red”. A Jinan Transon 80w laser engraver.
Big Red In Action
While we’re still working out the last details before it becomes available to AHA members, we’ve run the first Beta class to put the class instruction through it’s paces with an original design. We did that a week ago. Here’s the video of what you missed. Enjoy.
Our thanks to Pete Mills for making us earn our keep as Makers & Educators.
And Josh Williams for keeping it simple.
September will be the first Cosplay Get-Together at All Hands Active. This is a monthly meeting between the All Hands Active Makerspace and Maker-Works.
Come create, or enhance your costume, with our tools and folks just like you.
Event Details here. Pass it on.
After several years of slow-but-steady work, with contributions from all number of brave and generous individuals, we have at last gained our official 501(c)(3) status!
What does this mean for us? First, it sets in stone our goal to be a valuable community resource, making Ann Arbor smarter! Secondly, it means more opportunities for financial sponsorship, as donations can now be fully recognized as tax-deductable.
More sponsorship will help us keep the lights on, get better tools and equipment, etc.. We are always looking for extra help in this area, whether you know of potential sponsors, are a potential sponsor, or have experience finding sponsors. We’d love to hear from you in any case — drop us a line on the blog here, or send us an email: email@example.com.
Today, the hard work really starts!
Happy 4th of July!!!!
The first week includes LIVE Scorpions, Art Party!, Thursday Open Build and the ever-popular 3D Printing class on Saturday.
Check out the AHA Events page for details (fyi – Google Calendar is always up-to-date.)
Enjoy the holiday!
FYI – AHA public hours may be shortened due to the holiday.
In case you missed Music Night yesterday – Making Beats! Check it out. New comfy chairs, new laser engraver, and new faces making some awesome new beats!
Music Night July 25th will be LIVE Music. So dust off your instruments, clear those pipes and be ready… going to be a jammin’ good time!
Making Beats! Having Fun!
7 years in the making and AHA was right there at the finish line.
So go check it out, skate it if you can, and when you’re done, come visit AHA.
Open hours are from Thursday-Sunday 2pm-10pm.
Opening Day Story here.
Journal Club is a summer activity for interns working with Backyard Brains. They will meet daily Mon-Fri from 1pm-2pm at All Hands Active to share and discuss their neuroscience experiments. Anyone is welcome to participate.
Today’s topic: “How Scorpions respond to Predators!”
Monday, June 16th from 6pm-8pm at All Hands Active:
Learn to create an attractive and color-accurate image to portray your cool stuff to the world.
Impossible Object Printed @ AHA! – But that’s another class.