Elections for the next Board of Directors are coming up! Beginning today is the nomination period for prospective Directors. We are looking to fill three of our Board positions during this election (see the list of incumbents below).
We are an official 501(c)(3) and so our next goal mostly concerns really hitting the ground running with our fund-raising effort. If you think you can help us achieve this very important objective, please consider running for the Board of Directors! A Director’s term is one year long.
The powers of the Board of Directors are explicitly laid out in the AHA Bylaws (see “Powers of the Board” here), and since Directors take responsibility for financial activities so they must:
- have no financial conflicts of interest
- make an unrestricted financial contribution each term
- engage with and support the standing committee activities of Fundraising (development), Financial (operations), and Governance.
Here’s the breakdown of important dates for elections:
- Today – October 16 at 11:59PM: People can start nominating themselves or others over the ahashop_members at googlegroups.com mailing list.
- October 16 at 11:59PM – NOMINATIONS: If you nominate yourself or wish to accept someone else’s nomination, send an email explicitly and clearly stating that you are running to board at allhandsactive.com before midnight! Any confirmed nominees might also want to send a note to the ahashop_members at googlegroups.com list so that people know they are running. The current Board will also send out periodical updates of confirmed nominees as we collect them.
- October 17 – October 23 at 7:00PM – ABSENTEE VOTING: If you know that you are unable to make it to the voting party at AHA on the evening of the 23rd, let us know ASAP and we will do our best to accommodate your vote with an alternate voting procedure.
- October 23 at 7:00PM until 10:00PM – ELECTIONS: We host a themed Build Night in which the goal is to build a Board! Converge on AHA at 7:00PM, eat potluck-style foods, and cast your ballot. We will tally votes promptly at 10:00PM.
- October 24 at Midnight: Elected Board Members are put into place!
The actual voting process will involve assigning each nominee a number from 1 to N (N being the number of nominees we have by the end of the 16th). Higher numbers represent the nominees you favor most, with 1 being your least-favored. We will add up all of your ranking values and pick the three highest-scoring nominees, who will become the newest Members of the Board.
If you are a fully-paid Standard Member ($50), Reduced Membership Member ($20), or 4 ‘n’ 4 Staff Member ($0) in October, you are entitled to vote. You may become a member at any time up until the 23rd if you would like to be counted for this election.
And here’s the current Board:
Dana Nelson (I)
Larry Works (I)
Nathan Yost (I) — consecutive term limit reached
Incumbent Board Members who have completed their term are denoted by (I).
Please leave a comment here or on the Board Elections mailing list thread with election-related questions, or nominations. If you have matters of a sensitive nature, you may also email the board directly at board at allhandsactive.com.
Thank you, and see you for elections on October 23rd at 7:00PM!